Sunday, November 6, 2011

Desi Girl! Desi Girl!

What on earth is Desi Girl? One sec....let me just google that.....Ok it means Indian girl. So why did I have that as the title of this post when I don't even know the meaning? Might be the fact that I'm sitting in the library, pumped full of coffee, reading cases, writing up assignments, and trying to keep my body going for another few weeks before the Christmas break. We have major reports in Economics, Marketing (2 reports), Financial Reporting and Finance due in a couple of weeks, asides spending time reading pre-assigned lecture notes and trying to catch up on formal dinners, Oxford Union debates, Private Equity OBN activities and a multitude of other stuff.

Anyway, enough of that....back to Desi Girl. We celebrated the Indian Diwali festival recently and I accepted to participate in a choreographed dance on stage with a group of friends (in keeping with my 'Just say yes' policy). This was a particularly brave decision as I am certain that Elephants dance with more rhythm and co-ordination than I do.....we were supposed to dance to this song (Desi Girl) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2C0SEIjc7A which is by the way my new best song. So we rehearsed a little.....

Our great instructor



and finally performed...and I managed to escape with my credibility intact (I hope....)
The video of the performance is here by the way....http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150523822442524

After the show....which featured performances from genuinely talented people and Ron's hilarious but politically incorrect jokes (I loved them anyway....comedic licence), we all retreated to some delicious food and awesome Indian music. Of course they played Desi girl again and you bet I was on that dance floor....digging it!
Private Equity OBN
Back to serious stuff....I was elected Chairman of the Private Equity OBN a couple of weeks ago and we've been busy trying to plan our activities for the year. We have put a team together (which I am very happy with) and also have the support of the absolutely awesome Prof Jenkinson. We had our first post election event during the last week when the managing director of a huge emerging markets focused fund came to speak at the school. The event went very well and I was quite happy with the turnout despite many competing events that night. I'm also busy trying to run the internal version of the VCIC (Venture Capital Investment Competition)....with the winning team going on to represent the school at the European finals in Barcelona next year.

Incoming Batch
It feels like just yesterday, sitting in what I now know as Seminar Room A (then it was just this big awesome room in this big awesome school), during the Open day/Interview Day in February listening to last year's MBA students speak about their experiences and wondering how awesome it would be to be in their shoes. Looks like the process has already started and there's an open day for potential incoming students scheduled for mid-November....looks like I'll find out how it feels to be on the other side!

Ok....battery low on my laptop....library shuts down in 10 minutes anyway! Time to go home and listen to Matan (my flatmate) talk about his weekend trip to Edinburg with about 20 of our classmates while I spent all weekend in the library (no I'm not jealous! not at all....)



4 comments:

  1. Hi Bayo,

    I hope you are well. I have been reading your blog for a while now (beginning of 2011 actually). Like, you I have been looking to do an MBA except you are now doing it. I wonder if I can pick your brains? Especially about SBS. Don't know if you are available for a quick chat in your busy schedule?

    Let me know how to contact you directly and I would do it.

    Thank you
    Chike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chike,

    I'll be happy to help where I can. Shoot me a mail on babalola.b@gmail.com

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bayo,

    Came across your blog while looking for help with the Said MBA interview. It is when I saw this post that I realised you were studying at Said the same time as Abhinav. He was a class mate of mine in Singapore. :)

    just wanted to say thanks for putting down your MBA journey in this blog. It's very helpful for an aspiring MBA applicant like me. :)

    Cheers,
    Pri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this Pri (unfortunately two years too late). All the best!

      Delete